History of the Society
The San Bernardino Historical and Pioneer Society is the result of the merger of two previous groups... The Pioneer Society and the Historical Society. The full name of the Pioneer Society was The Society of California Pioneers, which formed on January 21, 1888. To be a member, one had to have come to California before 1850. The list of members was impressive.
The Pioneer Society included founders of San Bernardino such as John Brown, both Sr. and Jr., Nicholas Earp (father of Wyatt Earp and his brothers), W.F. Holcomb, and many others who built this valley.
In 1901, they built a log cabin for the upcoming visit of President McKinley. He was unable to visit the cabin, but was moved to eulogize the Pioneers for their efforts. They built 3 more log cabins in the following ten years for various events. The last one in 1911 was set up in Pioneer Park where it remained until fire damaged it in 1973.
The Historical Society’s legal name was The City of San Bernardino Historical Society and was formed in 1977 as an outgrowth of the Bi-Centennial. The two societies merged in 1982.
Application for Membership
Application for membership in the San Bernardino Historical and Pioneer Society is available by clicking on this link.
For more information or to answer any questions, please call us anytime:
- Steve Shaw, President, (909) 864-6179 or (909) 856-3229 (Cell)
- Allen Bone, Board Member, (909) 792-3827 or (909) 260-5745 (Cell)
- Lyn Killian, Librarian and Genealogical Inquiries, (909) 709-1895
- Richard D. Thompson, Librarian Emeritus, (760) 946-2669